Seeing wildlife is a daily occurance around our home. It has, at many times, been a frustration, as the deer so eagerly eat anything and everything I try to grow. In the spring/summer they graze through my hosta, daylily's, and whatever annual I plant. In the fall/winter they go for my rhododendrons. Mostly because rhododendron's stay green all year long, and when food is scarce in the winter they eat all the buds that are waiting to bloom the following spring. I have not had blooms for two years on my rhododendrons, and I have been less than thrilled about this. This past fall my husband graciously built a 7 foot fence around all my landscaping. It is temporary fencing that we can remove each spring. He did a great job, and to prove this I took a picture the other day of some deer that were looking to "graze" right next to our house. The fence was doing it's job and they were prevented from eating anything "green." I took the pictures through our front window, so I apologize for the clarity.
Oh, we also had turkeys visit us that day, within a few minutes of the deer arriving. Alayna was having a great time running to different windows looking at the animals. Whenever she sees a deer in the yard she points her finger at them and makes a shooting noise. Her father taught her this. I'm sure the animal-worshipping people in our community (and there are many) would love to see her do that. :)



1 comment:
We have seen a number of the turkey in your neighborhood on our way to work. We see them in the same spot every time, in the middle of Buck Road. Stefan keeps wanting me to hit one with the car. He does not understand the damage it would do to the car. His stomach is more important. Lisa
Post a Comment