Friday, January 23, 2009

New Rules When I'm Tired

Why is it that I tend to make up all "house rules" when I'm tired??? All rules that are conjured up in the evening hours probably shouldn't apply, since I'm only making the rule out of pure exhaustion and slight annoyance.

This past week I have noticed myself coming up with new rules for the kids quite often. Now, these new rules do not replace already exhisting rules, and do not allow for inconsistency where discipline is concerned. It's just that I get so tired sometimes that it seems like a good time to make up a new rule. For instance, tattling seems to have reached an all time high around here. Alayna doesn't usually tattle...at least not yet...but she is an instigator. Often when Julie is upset, and yelling, it's because Alayna has quietly snuck in and taken something away from her, sat on something she wanted, or just hit her for no reason. I realize that Alayna needs the discipline, and I do my best to keep an eye out for her instigating moments, but often I am more frustrated over the tattling, than the crime that was committed. Tattling is not stated in a matter-of-fact tone. It is a whine that mimics that of nails on a chalk board. Last weekend we had a lot of tattling going on and I had had it. I have tried telling Julie that she needs to tell all tattles to the cat, because I just don't care. She looked at me as if I had three heads and continued to tattle. So anyways, last weekend, after a morning of tattling, and pure exhaustion before we even hit the noon hour, I made it very clear that there was a "NEW RULE!" IF I HEAR ONE MORE TATTLE YOU WILL BE THE ONE TO GO TO YOUR ROOM, NOT ALAYNA! "okay mom" The look on Julie's face clearly showed that she understood that I was on the verge of losing my mind, and she better comply.

At school, Julie told me that they have a "tattle turtle" in the classroom. All tattles have to be told to the tattle turtle. I mentioned this to Dave, and he thought that we could have a "tattle paddle." Seems like a good idea to me. :)

Fast forward to tonight. Dave has had to be away several evenings this week. He is home for dinner and must leave shortly after. I try really hard to have dinner a little earlier than normal so that we're not rushing around right after, and I can get dishes done before he leaves, and he helps the kids with toy clean up. This is a good system. Tonight, however, Dave was doing dishes, I was assisting Julie with her bath, Joel was whining, Alayna was pouring water on the bathroom floor, and the toys were still not picked up. I was feeling a bit frazzled, and when I walked into the kitchen where Dave was, I found him singing loudly & happily while cleaning up. Bless him for being in such a good mood, but I actually caught myself "shushing" him. NEW RULE: NO SINGING WHEN I'M FRAZZLED!!! He looked at me and asked, "Did you just shush me?" Sheepishly I had to admit that I had, and then we both laughed...thankfully.

Okay, now Dave is off to youth group tonight, and the toys are finally picked up, and the kids are ready for bed. Joel is fed and in bed. I've read the girls their story, we've sang a couple songs, prayed, and they are tucked into their beds. For the past week I have been putting the girls to bed, saying my usual good-nights, I love you's, and I end with "no tattling." As soon as I left the room tonight Julie got up to come tell me "you won't even hear one tattle from me tonight, mom." "Okay, great! Now go back to bed." I was headed to my room to get my pj's on, and get comfy, when I hear Julie call, "I need a drink." Followed by Alayna's "I want a dink (aka., drink). Suddenly I had a NEW RULE! NEW RULE: TONIGHT IS THE LAST NIGHT I WILL GET YOU A DRINK AFTER YOU ARE IN BED. IF YOU WANT ANY DRINKS AT BEDTIME THEY MUST BE ASKED FOR BEFORE YOU ARE TUCKED IN. GOT IT? "okay mom"

I know the kids must think I'm losing it sometimes, and yes I'm fairly convinced I'm losing it sometimes, too...but really, these rules are for their own good. Someday they'll be well-adjusted kids that can make rules for their children any time they want. For now, it is MY privelege...and Dave's, as long as he's not singing while doing the dishes. :)

2 comments:

The Bierer Family said...

I think it is a mom's perogative to make up rules whenever she wants...anything to keep the momma happy. :)

Kristen said...

Thank you. I think so too.