Thursday, October 30, 2008

When It Rains It Pours

Life is never dull, right? I feel like that is a theme for our family. Never dull. I think I might be happy with dull, even for just one day. So, here's what's been happening this past week...I'll try to tell you in the order of events:

1. Yesterday I woke up feeling great, just a normal day. After Julie left for school I started to not feel well. I ended up doubled over with severe stomach pains all morning. I debated on whether to go to the ER, or call my doctor. I called my doctor and was able to get in at 2:15. The pain eased some in the afternoon, and by the time I was in the doctor's office it was gone completely. Next time I'm not making an appointment, I'm just driving myself to his office, walking in the door, and then I should be cured! The doctor was puzzled by my symptoms and ran some tests. He's sending me for an ultrasound on my gall bladder, because the only possible thing he could think the symptoms mimicked were that of gall stones. Apparently you can be in severe pain, then the stones can change position and you won't have pain again for a while, even months. Poor Dave had to set aside a day of work to help me, and then take me to the doctor.

2. Last night I was talking to my mom on the phone, and she informed me that she would not be having chemo today, like she was scheduled to. The results of her recent CT Scan came back and showed that the tumors on her liver have increased in size and multiplied. Her doctor is out of town, so she will wait until next week to see him and discuss a change in her treatment plan. Obviously, the chemo she's on is not working. This was not the news we were hoping for, but in a way we were expecting it. Her CA-125 count is way too high (483), so we knew something wasn't right.

3. Okay, so I thought I was feeling better today, and I was getting lots done this morning...and Dave was able to work. I was in the kitchen cleaning Joel's exersaucer, so he could start using it, but when I stood up I felt a snap in my back and the pain seemed to be shooting all over my body. Yes, I put my back out. I have not done this in some time, and really don't recall twisting funny while cleaning, or standing up any different than I normally do. But, backs are tricky things and they can go out even if you didn't do anything. So, now I'm in a lot of pain, and walking lopsided. I called my chiropractor and have an appointment at 9:15tomorrow. As of right now I'm able to sit, or walk very slowly. Dave had errands that HAD to get done, so he took Alayna and I'm home with Joel, who is currently napping. I should be okay to take care of him for now. Dave also has a First Responder class tonight with a test, so for now I'm trying to take it easy so I can take care of my family.

So, with all this, I was reminded of a verse that I read in Jeremiah yesterday which said, "O LORD, I know the way of man is not in himself; It is not in man who walks to direct his own steps." Jeremiah 10:23 Okay, so I'm not sure that "man who walks" applies to me right now...j/k, but I was thinking how frustrating these circumstances feel right now. I always feel like I have too much to do to be sick or injured, and I have some things planned tomorrow at Julie's school, as well as a harvest party for her to go to tomorrow night, Dave has a hunter's breakfast planned for Saturday morning, he's taking this class, the kids have colds, and on and on the list goes...but maybe I'm just trying too hard to plan my own steps, and not stopping and listening to what the Lord has for me. Apparently he wants me to sit still for a while and rest in Him.

This verse is also applicable to the situation with my mom. As much as we'd like to direct the steps for her, and have this cancer gone from her body, this is not up to us. He directs her steps, and He is in control of her treatment and healing. Not even the doctors have control...they may not realize it, but the Lord is directing their steps, too. She is in God's hands, and I am so thankful!!!

1 comment:

Romanek Ramblings said...

So sorry to hear all that bad stuff. But at least you can know that I still think you're a pretty princess even if you are a little lop-sided right now!