Thursday, September 9, 2010

Comfort Food

I didn't have to work yesterday, and it was one of those days that I wanted to spend in the kitchen. I wanted to bake, I wanted to fix a nice dinner for my family (something yummier than the Taco Bell they enjoyed the night before), and I wanted the comfort of this food.

Well, one out of two 'aint bad, right?

Just look at these cookies. Don't they look delicious? Almost Perfect? Plump with chocolate chips, soft & chewy?


Well, they may look good, but they are a disaster. I put together the dough while Joel & Alayna were eating their lunch. I tasted the dough (just in case it was poisonous I wouldn't want to hurt my family...that's always my reason for tasting the dough...honest....Thou Shalt Not Lie!), and it just didn't taste like I thought it should. Well, the flour had been in the freezer and I thought maybe that had something to do with it...why, I don't know, but that's the conclusion I came to.

So, I went about baking them, thinking they would still turn out fine. I've baked chocolate chip cookies for 57 years, I know how to do this...I never look at a recipe, I know it by heart, and they always turn out the same. Delicious! Okay, so the first batch came out, cooled and I tasted it. Blech! What in the world is wrong with these things? As I was finishing up my second or third yucky cookie it hit me, "DUH, you idiot, you forgot to add baking soda and salt!" What? How could this be? These mishaps don't happen to me. They might happen to some other amateur cookie baker, but not mwa!

Yep, believe it, or not, I blotched up the chocolate chip cookies, and on a day I decided to make a DOUBLE BATCH!

I told Dave this is the Lord's way of keeping me on track to eat better. If I mess up the cookies I will not be tempted to eat them. So far, I am not tempted to eat them. My kids & husband still think they're edible, but I snarl at them every time I pass the container on the counter. I could just spit, I was so mad. Well, at least they look pretty....Stupid Cookies!

So, on to my next comfort food....

Chicken 'n Biscuits! I am proud to say this turned out well, and tasted delicious. Dave, Julie & I enjoyed this immensely, but Joel & Alayna revolted at the site of carrots. This is an on-going problem with these two, and one that I can't seem to get them to overcome. If carrots were blue, would they eat them?

I started with 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Put enough water in a dutch oven to cover the chicken, added one onion, sliced carrots and 4 chicken boulion cubes. Boiled this for over an hour, until the chicken was cooked through. Then I thickened it with flour/water, and added seasoning - thyme, season all salt, and lots of freshly ground black pepper, until taste. Then I added peas and corn & a handful of spaghetti noodles, broken into small pieces. I made mashed potatoes & Bisquick biscuits...why, because that's what my mama always made, and they're good!


The end result was yummy! Dave pointed out all the heavy carbs, and I reminded him that this is why it's called "comfort" food. My pants however were a bit "uncomfortable" at the end of the meal, but at least I didn't feel the need to end with a chocolate chip cookie. Stupid Cookies!


2 comments:

Kori said...

Enjoyed this post! =) And I would like to know how you have been baking cookies for 57 years?? =) The Chicken n Biscuits looked heavenly!!!

Kristen said...

Thanks Kori. Glad you enjoyed this post. Okay, so I exagerated slightly about the 57 years, but not by much I'm sure. :)