Apple Dumplings! They were somewhat of an obsession in my family growing up. There are a lot of memories that swarm around this special dessert. From Christmas gifts for our neighbors - to fixing them for company that had never tasted them before. But most of all, for me, it is the memory of my mom teaching me how to make them, and then baking them with her. Once I learned how to make them, it became my "job" to fix them.
After Dave & I were married we would come home at Christmas to visit, and one of the first things my dad would ask me is, "would you mind making apple dumplings for the neighbors while you're here?" Sure!
I made this batch about a week ago for our small group Bible study. I took a few pictures to share with you.
"The Dough!"
A couple years ago my dad was telling someone about the apple dumplings I make, and he informed them that I just make the dough part from bisquick! BISQUICK!!!!! WHAT???? Don't get me wrong, I love bisquick for many things, but this dough is made from scratch. Scratch, I tell ya! So, it has become a small joke between my dad & me when I make them. "Here are your bisquick apple dumplings, dad." Enjoy!

The apples...my favorite apple to use is Cortland's. I do use McIntosh or Empire, too, if that's what I have. Each dumpling contains half of an apple.

"The Sauce." A wonderful blend of sugar, water, nutmeg, cinnamon and BUTTER!


No comments:
Post a Comment