Saturday, March 21, 2009

Catching Those Pesky Leprechaun's!

Julie's Kindergarten teacher asked each of the students to build a leprechaun trap, & bring it in to class this past Monday. It could be as simple, or as extravagent, as they wanted. I admit when I read the assignment I groaned, and thought what a nuissance, and I quickly decided this was a great father/daughter bonding project. :) When Dave read the assignment he took the challenge head-on. No simple leprechaun trap would be built on his watch....you've all seen what he constructs for our church's Vacation Bible School, why would a leprechaun trap be any different???? He and Julie worked over the weekend cutting, gluing, scheming, planning, gluing some more, and the result was one state-of-the-art leprechaun trap, able to catch leprechaun's in a single bound.

Monday morning Dave took Julie to school with her trap (I was afraid she'd fall when carrying this thing off the bus). The kids set their traps Monday at the end of the school day, and when they got to class on Tuesday the kids discovered that the leprechaun left candy in their traps, but they didn't catch the leprechaun. Stupid leprechauns, anyway!

A representative from the school district's office was at school taking pictures on Tuesday, and a picture of Julie & her trap made it to the school's website. Here is the picture. If you want the link to the website, it's:
http://rondoutmar.sharpschool.com/cms/One.aspx?portalId=1088451&pageId=1453129

The cage comes up, and inside there are lucky charms, and gold, to entice the leprechaun. When he enters, and presses the red button on the clothes pin, the cage falls down around him. I think my idea for a trap made with a shoe box and a string seems pretty ridiculous now. :)

2 comments:

Romanek Ramblings said...

I personally think you're idea of a shoebox was a great one. I would just add one feature. After the box closes, an automatic spanker should smack that stupid leprechaun. I think I feel a patent coming on....:)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Impressive, Dave. Oh, I mean Julie. LOL! I'm really surprised you didn't catch that pesky leprechaun. Let Julie know how proud of her we are.