Saturday, December 27, 2008

An Ear Infection Christmas...

I think each year I need to set a doctor's appointment for Christmas time. I'll have a time slot all set up, because I can guarantee that at least one of my children will have an ear infection at Christmas. Tis' the Season, right?

We made it to Erie, safe & sound, this past Tuesday. The weather was good for traveling, and we only had to make two stops in an 8 1/2 hour trip. That is a first! We've enjoyed two Christmas celebrations, so far, and one birthday party for my niece, Danika, who is turning two. We have one more Christmas celebration, in Erie, to go to. In the middle of all this excitement, Alayna's cold symptoms came back. She had a cold a few weeks ago, but never got over it completely. She still had the lingering cough and runny nose. Wednesday night, and Thursday night, she had a rough night of sleep (and so did we). She started to complain that her ear hurt, and at first I thought maybe she had some fluid build-up. On Friday we decided she needed to be seen by a doctor. I took her to an Urgent Care facility, and it turns out that she has an infection in her right ear, redness in her throat and swollen glands. Oh joy! Poor baby. She has been acting fine, and has only run a low fever here & there. I was glad I took her, and now she's on antibiotic. She'll probably be feeling much better by Sunday. On the other hand, mom is now sick with a bad cold, sore throat, etc., and Dave woke up saying his throat was a bit scratchy. I know Alayna will be fine, now that she's got medicine, but mom is the one I worry about. She keeps reminding me that she's exposed to people all the time, by working at the library, but I still can't help but think that we brought this home to her. I pray she will feel better quickly, and that she'll be able to enjoy her time with us, and her sister from Florida, who is arriving with her family, today. As well as her brother, and his family, from Lancaster County, who we will be seeing tomorrow.

I'm beginning to think it's impossible to visit Erie without one of us getting sick.

Merry (ah-choo) Christmas! Oh no, am I sick, too???

1 comment:

Romanek Ramblings said...

I'm tellin' you, you really ought to consider buying a bubble. Instead of bubble-boy, you all could be known as the Bubble-bunch. You could all roll around your Mom's house and she could insert her hands into those gloves to give you hugs and bubble food. Maybe the church can help pay for it! I REALLY hope you all feel better and I send my deepest sympathy for your recurring plague! :D