Wednesday, December 10, 2008

3 AM and Wide Awake!

Why is it that the best time for planning your days activities takes place in the middle of the night when you can't sleep? I received a 3AM wake-up call from Joel on Tuesday, and after getting him settled back in I could not go back to sleep. This is not uncommon for me, just ask Dave. He is often awakened by my heavy sighing and tossing & turning, that preceed my inability to sleep. I always figure if I sigh loud enough, and make enough movement in bed he'll wake up, ask what's wrong, and allow me to list off the things that are on my mind. This has yet to happen. In fact, what is more common, is hearing him drowsily ask, "are you okay?" Then, when I reply, "No, I can't sleep," I get an "I'm sorry," followed by his snoring. The next morning he often can't even remember this scenario taking place. Oh well...

I have mentioned before that I am planning a Ladies Christmas Tea for our church, and it is scheduled for this coming Saturday. Last year was our first year doing this, and it was a success. My sister-in-law, Andrea, was our special speaker, and soloist. It was wonderful. We had 33 in attendance, which is great for a church with a congregation that averages around 45 each Sunday. As I did the planning this year, I planned for 40. It came to my attention this past Sunday that we had close to 60 coming. Okay...never fear...we have enough table hostess'. So this is where the 3 AM sleeplessness comes in. I began counting people in my head (I should've counted sheep), and realized I forgot about some people, and was now approaching 65+. Keep in mind, we do not have a fellowship hall. This is a one-room church, with a bathroom. We are clearing out the sanctuary, and setting up tables. So, at 3:30 AM I made my way to the living room to make lists, layout a floor plan for the tables, assign people to their table hostess, etc. I took a benadryl, hoping that I would get drowsy as I worked. I should have known this wouldn't work, since I can take Benadryl in the middle of the day, and never feel phased. I finally went back to bed at 4:30, and dozed off.

Dave came to my rescue Tuesday and set up tables at the church for me. We looked it all over, re-arranged, arranged some more, and figured we can only handle 65 people...no more. Great! I never imagined that our simple ladies Christmas tea would turn in to a waiting-list only event. I am excited for Saturday, and I can't wait to see how the Lord is going to use this.

On another note:
After Julie got home from school yesterday she was sitting in the living room, chatting away with me. I asked her how music class was that day and she began to sing a song about Spinning the Dreidel. Well, I asked the obvious questions..."Are you learning about Hanukkah in school?" To which she replied "Nope," and kept on singing about the dreidel.

1 comment:

To cherish and survive . . . said...

Great to find a family blog. Susan Bierer Fawbus (Jim Bierer in Cincy daughter ) is my sister in law. I married Scott Bierer - I blog at biererboys.blogspot