Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School

Well, I survived it, and my baby is off to Kindergarten. She went through many emotions this morning as she thought about going to school. When she woke up she was so excited. Then at breakfast she told me she didn't want to go. I was very careful choosing my words with her this morning, but I informed her that it was the "law" and she had to go. Okay, I wasn't that harsh. We talked about it, and I told her all she would be doing and learning, and once again her excitment returned. Until later in the morning when she told me she didn't remember where the cafeteria was, and what if she couldn't find it. Poor thing...she's such an over-thinker. Julie is always concerned about the "what-ifs". Once again I explained that she would not be left alone. Her class would do things together, and there would always be an adult to help her out. She was calm again. I also promised to make her a special supper tonight and she immediately asked if we could have boxed macaroni & cheese. Ugh! Yes, that's what we're having...per her request. We're also having chicken....per my request. :)

Julie got on the bus this morning without any problem, and she quickly found our neighbor girl to sit with. That really helped. After she left, Dave, Alayna, Joel & I got ready and headed to the school for a new parents breakfast, sponsored by the PTF. We didn't tell Julie we'd be going to this, because we didn't want her to think she could find us and go back home with us. We'll tell her tonight that we saw her school today.

The big school girl with her princess lunch box, tinker bell shirt and Dora backpack. What more could a kindergartner ask for??





The bus is coming....


Getting on the bus like such a big girl. I held it together really well, until the bus pulled away, and I sobbed like a baby. I'm doing better now.


Alayna has met the pavement and gravel several times in the past two days. I had to take a picture of what my little girls knees look like. So sad... She hardly cries, though, and hates to wear band-aids. She didn't like the peroxide very much. I can't blame her there.

2 comments:

The Bierer Family said...

I can't believe she started school today! My "mom" heart is thinking of you ...I'm sure there were tons of emotions. We love you and can't wait to hear how Julie likes school!

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures. Almost cried watching her step onto that big bus. Really took me back to when you and Doug had your first days. Loved those days and yet, I didn't because too soon your children are all grown up with kids of their own. Okay, I'm starting to get misty-eyed.