Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cough-Variant Asthma

We have a name for it! I mentioned in my last post that Julie has a persistent dry cough, but no other major symptoms. Since this has been an on-going problem I took her to the doctor this morning to have it checked out. The doctor feels that her symptoms are those of cough-variant asthma. This is asthma that only comes in the form of a cough, but typically doesn't have the other symptoms, such as wheezing and shortness of breath (however, these symptoms could develop later on). So, now that we have an idea of what this is we can start treating it, and see if it gets better. Tomorrow the pharmacy will have her mask, and medication, so I can begin her treatments. If this doesn't work, then we're back to square one of figuring out why she has this cough. But, I really feel like this makes the most sense. Dave & I are planning to purchase a new mattress for her bed, with an allergen mattress cover, since her mattress was a hand-me-down from relatives. Also, a mildew problem was discovered in our basement, which is being treated. I believe this is a huge factor in why Julie may have developed this in the first place. These are my theories, but also the doctors, as well.

For those of you who may be wondering what exactly this type of asthma is, here's a link that has more info, if you're interested. http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/cough-variant-asthma

I have to tell you about this conversation I had with Julie this morning, while brushing her hair.
Julie: I just can't ignore the devil.
Me: What do you mean?
J: When he tells me to do bad things I want to do them.
Me: Oh, well, who should you be listening to?
J: Mommy & Daddy
Me: Yes, but you should also be listening to Jesus.
J: I know
Me: If you have Jesus in your heart you should want to obey what He wants. Do you have Jesus in your heart? (side note: Julie asked Jesus in her heart last March)
J: Yes
Me: Well then, if the devil wants you to do bad things you should say "Go away devil, I listen to Jesus."
J: Okay, that's what I'll say.
Me: Let's practice, what are you going to say to the devil?
J: Um, I forget.

Kids...they're so honest! I wish adults were more honest. Sometimes the devil wants me to do bad things, too, and I want to do them. I'm just being honest. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I want to say bad things... oh yeah, I do. But, I just explain, "It's the cancer talking". My sister taught me that. *grin*