Wednesday, May 20, 2009

We Took Our Cat To School

This week Julie is "Special Person of the Week" in Kindergarten. Each child get's a special week, and she has been waiting anxiously for this. She can take in special things to share with her class, such as pictures or favorite stuffed animals. Today, however, we agreed to bring our cat, Reggie, in to class for everyone to meet. She also wanted all of us to come, so the class could meet her entire family. Once again, I forgot my camera. Getting two kids up from naps, catching the cat to put in his carrier, and heading to Julie's school was enough to think about, I suppose.

Her teacher had us sit in front of the circle of kids and they were allowed to raise their hands and ask us questions. We were asked what our favorite colors are, our favorite foods, does Reggie bite, what's Reggie's favorite food, how old is Reggie, what color shirt is Alayna wearing, etc. It was so fun! After the question time I took Reggie from his carrier and held him so all the kids could take a turn petting him. Reggie wasn't sure about the whole ordeal, but he cooperated nicely, and didn't escape my arms. I was slightly fearful that he might eyeball the class pet, which is a rat named Lucky, and take a shot at the innocent rodent. Thankfully, he never seemed to notice the rat amidst all the 5 & 6 year olds that wanted his attention.

Julie loved having us there, and Alayna felt like the big girl being in school with her sister. Julie told everyone all about us (I admit that I was nervous as to what she might decide to tell, but thankfully no family secrets were exposed). She told them that her daddy is a Pastor and a firefighter...they were all so impressed. She even gave them an impersination of what Dave's pager sounds like when it goes off. :)

At the end of the school day, when our time with Reggie was done, we waited around for Julie to be dismissed so we could bring her home. The teacher let the kids take turns singing any song they wanted to in front of their classmates...it was hysterical. One boy serenaded us with "U Can't Touch This," another jammed out with some air guitar, and another little girl sang something about "I'm hot, your cold," and it was obvious that her parents must enjoy some hip hop...well, Julie decided she would sing for everyone, and she stood up and sang "Jesus Loves Me," loudly and clearly. It was precious! I have a lot to learn from this 6 year old who has no inhibitions to sing about Jesus, in a room full of her peers.

Julie & Reggie...they have always been good pals.

No comments: