Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Day of Fun

This past Thursday we spent an afternoon at Dave's brothers home. Dave's sister and her four boys were in town visiting, so we all got together. It was a very relaxed afternoon, and the weather was gorgeous. After a picnic lunch we spent the rest of the day at the creek that runs beside Nathan's home. The kids played and had a great time in the water finding crayfish claws, fishing with Julie's Barbie fishing pole (no hook on it), floating around in the blow up canoe, and throwing rocks. Dave's mom held Joel most of the afternoon on the swing, while he slept in her arms. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. :) Alayna had no intention of going in the water, but at one point she got very daring and ended up face first in the creek. Dave was right beside her and scooped her up immediately. She never even cried. Julie also took a spill, and has a scrape and bruise on her bottom to prove it. She did cry, and I don't blame her. Some of those rocks are very slippery.

Playing in the creek for the afternoon reminded me of my own growing up years. We had a creek that ran beside our house and I spent many hours there in the summer catching cray fish, playing house, building dams, and so on. Misty & Emily, you will remember all the time spent in the creek very well. My cousin Emily reminded me of all the time we used to spend talking about how many kids we'd have some day, and now here we are, raising our families...and now I'm watching my own kids play in creeks. I love it!

The siblings. Dave's brother Nathan, his sister Shelly, & Dave.


Julie the bathing beauty!


Julie & cousin Christopher (Shelly's 3rd son) with the crayfish net & bucket...I think he may have had a minnow in there.


Julie & Aunt Shelly enjoying some quiet time to themselves.


Nathan in the blow up canoe that's really intended for the smaller children. I wonder why it kept tipping Nate???

No comments: