Friday, November 16, 2007

Continuing Adventures...

Can I just tell you that I've almost completely forgotten about this blog in the past two weeks...There's been plenty to "blog" about, but it's been all-consuming and I've just not gotten around to it. I was telling my mom today about some things that have been happening and she mentioned wanting to read about it on my blog to see what I'd write...oh yea, I have a blog...duh!

First of all, if you don't know already, my husband is on an adventure of his own. A couple weeks ago he started having severe pain. After a week of off and on pain he went to the doctor. He was referred to a urologist and diagnosed with a kidney stone. He had a CT Scan this past Monday and it showed that he indeed has one stone, and it is 1/4". OUCH! It has not "passed" yet. He is on pain meds and meds for the stone. The week he was in so much pain was the week he took vacation time for archery hunting. He still managed to go out hunting, until the pain was so severe he could barely move. A day after receiving his pain meds (a narcotic) he announced that he was going to once again resume hunting. Whatever... Still no deer, but tomorrow begins rifle season and ends archery. He feels his chances will be better now. We'll see...I just hope this stone doesn't decide to "pass" when he has a deer in his sites. He'll be awfully disappointed. :)

The girls have once again come down with colds. There is so much going around right now. Alayna basically just has a runny nose and ocassional cough. Julie, on the other hand, being the drama queen she is, I believe she's dying. Okay, she's not, but I'm not sure what to think half the time. She did run a fever for a day, or two, and complained of her throat. Now, she's come down with a bad cough. It mostly affects her at night when she lays down. I feel very sorry for her, because I know it's painful. The part that gets me though is that when she goes to bed at night and the coughing starts to worsen, each cough is now followed by a scream. Last night I was at my wits end. She'd sit up, cough, and then scream, cough and scream, cough and scream, cough and scream...are you catching onto the pattern??? I know it hurts, please don't get me wrong, but when she screams she is also thrashing herself around on the bed. It almost mimics a night terror, but I know she's awake. Dave was away at a meeting last night, so I was on my own. Julie would start her cough/scream routine. At first I was talking calmly, but about 10 minutes into it I was clapping my hands, raising my voice, waving my arms and acting like a maniac trying to get her to stop. As soon as I'd act like this she would stop and look at me like I had 10 heads...okay, now I know she can stop and control the screaming part...so this is how it went all evening long. She'd fall asleep, wake up coughing, then start the cough/scream thing, I'd go in and act like a maniac, then she'd calm down and try to sleep again...5-10 minutes later the whole process would get repeated. Around 10:00 I gave up and let her come to bed with me until Dave got home. When he got home she was sleeping and we moved her back to her bed. I am often so thankful that I'm not on some reality show where they videotape our family life, I would come off as some kind of looney tune mother with a strange approach toward handling my sick child. Whatever works...

I did end up taking the girls to the doctor this morning to have Julie's cough checked out. It sounds so awful...but as always, IT'S JUST VIRAL!!! Why do I hate that answer so much??? I don't like antibiotics, and I'd prefer my kids not to be on them. But why do I feel so stupid at the doctor when they tell me my children just have colds? Last week I had Julie to the doctor because I found a tick embedded in the back of head. I was unable to remove it at home, so I had to take her in to have it removed. Thankfully that is out and no rash has appeared. The adventures of living in a wooded area. At least I wasn't told the tick was "viral" and to wait it out...I think I would have slapped the man...or at least jumped up and down, waving my arms and clapping my hands like a maniac...hey, it get's my daughter's attention!

I know I haven't posted pictures in a while. I have good intentions, I just haven't taken any pictures. My children have gone un-photographed for about two weeks now. :) Alayna is walking now...still a little wobbly, but doing really well.

No comments: