Thursday, September 10, 2009

This -n- That

School has oficially begun in our home. Things are going well, and Julie is already reading at a 10th grade level, not bad for 3 days of school, huh? Okay, she's not reading yet, but that's the main focus this year.

We enjoyed a nice labor day at home with friends of ours from PA. It was so good to visit with them, and have our kids playing together for the day.

Julie started swim lessons Tuesday night and really seemed to like it. She was the only one in her class at 5:45, so we're going to move her to the 4:45 class so she'll be learning with other kids her age.

I recently discovered that Joel loves Baby Einstein videos. Julie loved them, too, as a baby. I was relieved to figure out something that he'll sit still for, for more than 20 seconds. It's been a lifesaver in the morning when I'm getting ready, and again at dinner time when his favorite thing is to follow me around the kitchen crying, with his hands in the air to hold him. Here's a couple pictures of his new pasttime. I strap him into the bouncy seat, which then allows me to get a quick shower knowing that he isn't running free.





Last Wednesday a couple of my good friends came over with their kids for the afternoon. It was just warm enough that the kids could play in the pool...they didn't seem to mind that the pool was small, they had a blast.


A recipe to share with you!
Julie actually came across this recipe a year ago, while playing a Holly Hobby game online. We made them together, and I've been fixing them on ocassion ever since. They are easy, and yummy!
Yesterday Alayna & Julie helped me make a batch to go with our homemade mac-n-cheese supper.

Applesauce Muffins (recipe below)


2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I use whatever I have in the house)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line with paper liners a 12 cup muffin pan.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to blend. Add the egg, applesauce and melted butter. Stir until just blended. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake until puffed and toothpick inserted comes out clean; 18-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

No comments: